Restaurant Openings for Dummies
IT'S SOLD OUT!
- Event Date: Thursday 21st October
- Event Time: 19:00PM
- Location: The Factory, 16A Kwai Bo Building, 40 Wong Chuk Hang Road, Wong Chuk Hang
- Price per person: HK$200 Early Bird (includes a welcome drink and some canapes) NO WALK-INS
The event will be hosted by Johnny Glover who founded Pacific Gourmet, The Butchers Club, Argyle Butchers in HK, and most recently Steak King Market. He has conceptualized and opened over 30 restaurant & food factory premises in Hong Kong plus others in the UK, China, Singapore, Australia, and Indonesia. His first Butchers Club Burger restaurant in Wan Chai paid back its build costs within 13 days of operation was listed in the Michelin Guide. and regularly generated sales exceeding HK$2mil per month from 500 square feet.
- Pick the brains of a panel of expert guests from; Licensing, real estate, interior design, construction, project management etc...
- Network with other entrepreneurs looking to open restaurants
- Pick up tips and tricks on how to open a restaurant in Hong Kong on a shoestring budget
Panel of Experts
Ricky Wong - Interior Design
Ricky wong has been designing restaurants for the past 10 years in Hong Kong, he designed the original Butchers Club in Wanchai, The Butchers Club Deli in Wong Chuk Hang, and most recently The Steak King Concept stores
Chase has been project managing food & beverage concepts in Hong Kong for over a decade. He has oped and operated everything from nightclubs to food trucks to private party boats. Most recently he opened the Soho nightclub 'Quality Goods'
Joe Sutton Training & Development
Joe lectures at Hong Kong PolyU, School of Hotel and Tourism Management, and teaches subjects such as; Entrepreneurship, Food & Beverage E-Commerce etc...
Tom Waterhouse - F&B Real Estate
Tom is a Chartered Surveyor and currently Director of Retail at Savills Hong Kong
Wilson Lee - Restaurant Licensing
Wilson Lee is a registered architect in Hong Kong, practicing as license consultant for food & beverage venues, hotels and schools over 17 years. Mr. Lee always emphasizes the importance of pre-leasing assessment to a property before the engagement.
John Lo - Insurance & Legal
John is currently with AIA and overseas insurance with a focus on hospitality and Food & Beverage
What We Will Cover
- Do you have a clear vision for the restaurant that you want to build?
Site Selection & Leases
- Location location location or does it really matter?
- What to look for in a lease – personal guarantees, marketing levy, removal notice if the owner sells the building
- Negotiating a lease – landlords less likely to offer cheaper base rents but may agree to extended rent-free periods
Licensing and licensing consultant
- This should be the first person you hire, 2 types of consultants with different benefits; licensed surveyor, ex FEHD officers
- Do not sign a lease for a restaurant unless a licensing consultant gives a green light
- Types of licenses
- Buying an existing business/license
- What does it cost to license a restaurant or food factory?
Project builds, timelines and costs
- Typical Contractors needed (General contractor, HVAC, Kitchen, Fire Services)
- Selecting contractors, Project Manager
- How do you pay them and what do you need?
- Equipment- second hand Vs. new
- How long should it take?
- Can you open without a license?
PR/Marketing & Social Media
- Do it yourself or hire a PR Firm
Recruitment & Training
- Head Chef cost, Restaurant Manager costs?
- What to look for when hiring people
- Total Labour costs as a % of revenue
- Soft opening
- Grand Opening
Event Location: 16A Kwai Bo Industrial Building, 40 Wong Chuk Hang Road. 100 meters from Exit B Wong Chuk Hang MTR station